Troops is a common term used for units that aren't commanders.
A ruler can promote a troop to the position of Warlord.Erf-b1-p079 This seems to be uncommon. Some possible reasons for this rarity:
- Expense, similar to the promotion to Heir DesignateErf-b1-p079 - popped warlords cost time, not Shmuckers
- High minimum level requirement few troops reach - though this seems unlikely considering Wanda being able but unwilling to promote from Stanley's remaining 200 living troops.
- Troop type restrictions (Men only?)
- Maximum current warlord limit (a side may only promote when they have <X warlords or <Y commanders?) - Stanley only promoted one at a time. It is unknown how many warlords King Saline IV had when he promoted Stanley.
- Promoted warlords are generally inferior to popped ones